CUNY - College of Staten Island - English Language Institute



CUNY - College of Staten Island: The English Language Institute (ELI) of the Center for Global Engagement has offered innovative academic programs for students learning English as a Second Language since the late 1970’s. Our course of study is designed to challenge and engage students. Students are immersed in the language, culture, and ethnicity of New York City. Classes range from beginner to the advanced level.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

ELI student's essay: My Story in a Special Place

ELI student: Elvira Krestovska                                                           
Student from Ukraine 

My Story in a Special Place

         So many interesting stories happened to me on a health track inside a park in my native city of Odessa. It’s a very beautiful road that extends four miles near the shore of the Black Sea. Everything for me circled around the sea in Odessa. Probably you remember these words from the movie Knockin' on Heaven's Door, “You’ve never seen the ocean? Don't you know what happens when you get to heaven? In heaven, all they talk about is the ocean. How gorgeously beautiful it is. And all the sunsets that they saw. How you could feel the sun lose its strength. And how the cool water splashed forward and the only fire left was the fire in their souls. And you? You can't say a thing, because you've never been there. Up there, you'll be nothing but [an] outsider.” 

The sea creates a special atmosphere in every branch of life in Odessa. You can tell that the sea is the soul, a place of power in my homeland. Maybe this is why all the fun is near those waves, views, shores, this power of nature. However, almost two years ago at the end of April, my boyfriend wanted to ride a bike with me on the health track. So I said “Yes, but first, I want breakfast together.” Of course, after our usual romantic weekend breakfast we went to bike. All of the prior week it was cloudy and rainy all day long so it was logical that when the sun finally showed us its rays, my boyfriend wanted to spend time with me. The weather was as excellent as my mood. I was full of breakfast and while I was biking I saw next to me a man with whom I am in love. I didn’t expect anything on this day, maybe only a manicure in the evening. And in the end of the health track we stopped on our special slope. We hugged and looked at the sea, but longer than usual. I wanted to bike to the cafe already but Pavel stopped me. He got on one knee and asked me, “Will you marry me?.”  I was confused a lot and halted my breath. I couldn’t say anything, so I just looked at him and at the ring and was silent. Finally he asked, “Will you  say something?” I said “Yes”. We kissed, hugging, but we didn’t know which finger we needed to put the ring on. We asked some people below and they clapped for us and told us the right finger.

Once upon a time before, Pavel made the proposal, after a club night we biked home at 4:00 a.m. down the health track. I wanted to sleep and I had no energy to bike, but Pavel motivated me every mile. It was fun. He wanted to swim at sunset, but I was so tired and I thought that he will forget about it at the end of the road. He forgot and we returned a little bit to the first path by the sea. It was an unforgettable feeling to swim in the sea at sunset with my love. The water was extremely cold.

Then we sat on the bench together and he rested his head on my legs. Suddenly we realized that one lady was taking photos of us. It was hilarious. We said hello to this lady. Her name is Olga, she is a journalist and she is an early bird. She wakes up every single day at 5:00 a.m. no matter what and goes to take photos of the sunset. We exchanged Facebook pages, said “Good morning!” and she continued her early morning promenade. The next day we saw our photos on her Facebook page, and Pavel reposted this and after that, everyone from his family, relatives and friends knew that I exist and how I look. Accidents are not accidental. Maybe it’s true.


I am grateful to the energy of the universe for those moments of happiness in my life. In my opinion not always everything interesting could happen with you because of your activity. It’s also about the place that you choose. It is exactly the place that attracts people.

_______________________________________________________________________________

The students' essays are entirely prepared by ELI students during the semester term they spend studying at the English Language Institute (ELI) at the College of Staten Island/CUNY.

They prepare this academic work while having classes of grammar, reading and writing, communications, and TOEFL preparation workshops, with the supervision of their ELI teachers. Topics are chosen by ELI students and they reflect personal points of view of the topics selected and facts and information researched by them.

ELI students dedicate time to make the best articles and carefully prepare their essays in and outside class. All ELI students participate, from beginning to advanced level. ELI wants to show their work considering their English level in order to become an academic tool for future English-learning students.

Most of all, ELI wants to show content related to topics students may have experienced while studying English in New York, an important topic in their home country, a current issue, or any other topic they decided to write about.

ELI is very proud of the academic work that represents the outcomes of each student, who not only learns English as a language but also is capable of expressing meaningful content-based language.

Enjoy reading the anthologies!



English Language Institute
College of Staten Island

https://www.csi.cuny.edu/campus-life/student-services/center-global-engagement/english-language-institute

No comments:

Post a Comment